Saturday, April 22, 2006

Slow down

After reading an interesting book review, I tracked down and borrowed the same book from my library. It was titled, In Praise of Slowness, and written by Carl Honore.

I must admit, I‚’m a fast-a-holic. When driving, I tend to go faster rather than slower, I tend to speed read my books, I flip between stations when my TV show is on the commercial, and I can't seem to do one thing at a time anymore. This book has made me re-evaluate my values and yes, actually slow down a bit (especially when driving).

I've discovered there is a growing Slow Down subculture out there which essentially promotes quality of life over the amount of things we tend to want to accomplish. In other words, slow down and enjoy life rather than speed by it at 90 miles per hour.

So what does the Bible say of being still, being slow and seeking resting?

‚“Be still and know that I am God‚”, ‚“Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry‚”, ‚“For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest‚” and ‚“it is a Sabbath of rest for you, and you must deny yourselves.‚”

Good advice! Give it a try this week ‚– listen more, seek silence and slow down.

No comments: